6 ECTS credits
150 h study time
Offer 2 with catalog number 1002080CNR for all students in the 1st semester at a (C) Bachelor - specialised level.
- Learning of concepts
- Bayesian learning
- Instance based learning
- Inductive logic programming (learning of rules)
- Evaluation of hypotheses: confidence, bias and variance
- Computational learning theory
- Reinforcement learning
- Transparent and Trustworthy Machine Learning
- Students need to perform 1 case study, in which students' apply, evaluate and compare multiple learning techniques on real data.
- The information will be available on the learning platform.
- This course is given in Dutch, but can on demand, and if agreed by the students be given in English
- Recommended handbooks : Machine Learning, T.M. Mitchell, Machine Learning Ethem Alpydin,
- Transparencies are available on the learning platform.
- Knowledge and insight
The student is acquainted with a range of basic learning algorithms.
The student is capable of applying evaluation techniques to estimate the performance of the obtained model and to calculate the performance of an algorithm given a concrete application context using computational learning theory.
- The use of knowledge and insight:
He is able to choose the appropriate techniques given a concrete learning problem, to apply them correctly and to evaluate the obtained results.
- Judgement ability
The student must be able to to devise and sustain arguments in favor or against some choice of learning technique for a given problem.
He/she can motivate the chosen approach to specialist and non specialists.
Students have obtained the skills to autonomously program, analyse, and apply learning techniques to a wide variety of problems.
The final grade is composed based on the following categories:
Written Exam determines 75% of the final mark.
PRAC Practical Assignment determines 25% of the final mark.
Within the Written Exam category, the following assignments need to be completed:
Within the PRAC Practical Assignment category, the following assignments need to be completed:
- The exam is written, open book, and includes one question which can be optionally presented orally.
- The case study is mandatory and determines 25% of the final score.
This offer is part of the following study plans:
Bachelor of Computer Science: Default track (only offered in Dutch)
Bachelor of Mathematics and Data Science: Standaard traject (only offered in Dutch)